The Senior Biostatistician is responsible for developing novel algorithms, models and approaches for the analysis of large genotypic and phenotypic datasets. This job will interface with other bioinformatics and software engineers, and contribute to the implementation of novel tools, pipelines, and databases to apply these algorithms and models.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform analyses of large datasets for internal and externally-facing projects with an emphasis on statistical modeling.
- Building programs by using computational formulas to determine outcomes based on biological projects or research.
- Develop software, creating query routines and building relational databases.
- Apply knowledge of algorithms to solve problems based on information and data using different calculations.
- Provide advice for experimental design.
Qualifications: Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in biostatistics, bioinformatics, computational biology, or a comparable scientific degree
- In addition to the degree, at least six years of working experience in data analysis or data modeling in a biological discipline; experience with microbial genomics is preferred
- Experience with statistical programming languages/applications such as SPSS, SAS, R, or MATLAB
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to effectively articulate complex, technical information
- Must have excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to perform multiple tasks independently
Qualifications: Licenses and Other Credentials:
- Experience with high performance distributed computing and cloud computing
- Programming skills in languages such as Perl, Python, or PHP
- Hands-on experience with bioinformatics tools and public databases