OpGen, Inc. is an emerging commercial stage company using molecular testing and bioinformatics to assist healthcare providers to combat multi-drug-resistant bacterial infections. Our products and services are designed to enable healthcare providers to rapidly identify hospital patients who are colonized or infected with life threatening, multi-drug-resistant organisms, or MDROs.
OpGen is committed to supporting our customers as valued partners by creating long-term relationships and continually exceeding their expectations. OpGen employees have created the company’s success. As a result of that success, we are seeking individuals who enjoy a challenge and desire to be part of a team making a difference in healthcare outcomes.
We are seeking a Medical Technologist who will work within the Clinical Laboratory Services department to help create and update protocols and perform molecular biology production assay workflows, including pre-analytic and post-analytic testing and data analysis. Technologist may be required to perform validations for protocol improvement within the department. This is an opportunity to contribute to a cutting edge clinical genomics laboratory dedicated to diagnosis and epidemic analysis of healthcare associated infections. Flexibility to work evening shifts is required.
Primary Job Functions
- Perform molecular and microbiology production assays requiring manual techniques and automated instrumentation
- Design, analyze and interpret controlled experiments to facilitate assay development
- Follow the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining proper records of all test results
- Follow CLIA, HIPAA, OSHA, and safety guidelines as described in their respective guidelines
- Ensure compliance with safety policies and procedures in the work area and use applicable protective equipment at all times to prevent exposure to potentially infectious agents
- Adhere strictly to quality control guidelines and document all quality control activities to ensure integrity of laboratory specimens and accuracy of test results
- Follow the laboratory’s established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory’s established acceptable levels of performance
- Present scientific data when appropriate
- Perform additional duties as directed by Lab Supervisor
- BS in Medical Technology, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biology, Biochemistry, or Clinical Laboratory Science from an accredited institution
- Previous molecular diagnostics experience including DNA isolation, PCR, RFLP, Real-Time PCR, Capillary electrophoresis and DNA sequencing is required
- Minimum 1-2 years of clinical laboratory experience performing high complexity testing services is preferred
- ASCP (American Society of Clinical Pathology) generalist certification or specialist in Molecular Biology (MB), Certified Medical Technologist, or equivalent license highly desired
- Significant knowledge and experience in culturing of microbes in a BSL-2 environment is preferred
- Meet all credential requirements for CLIA as a Laboratory Technologist/Testing Personnel
- Experience with writing and editing laboratory Standard Operated Procedures (SOP) and policies is required
- Compliance experience with regulatory agencies such as CLIA, NYS and CAP would be preferred
- Operation and preventive maintenance of lab equipment including but not limited to Thermocycler, Light cycler, sequencing instruments etc.
- Familiarity and experience with laboratory information management systems (LIMS)
- Demonstrated proficiency in analysis software for genome related projects
- Strong PC skills, including experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Must have demonstrated verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with people within the laboratory
- Maintains and fosters a spirit of cooperation and team effort to accomplish results
- Quantitative analysis skills related to assay quality metrics and performance—sensitivity, specificity, accuracy, false positive and false negative evaluations
- Ability to create and interpret statistical data reports and/or charts on assay TAT, repeat rates, quality metrics of assay performance, etc. using LIMS
- Excellent lab bench and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently in the laboratory with flexibility, adaptability, efficiency, accuracy and professionalism
- Accountability for personal decisions, actions and results related to laboratory testing performance
- Position may require sustained periods of standing, sitting and work using a computer monitor as well as lifting up to 25 lbs
- BSL2 laboratory environment handling human specimens of all types including infectious disease agents
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com indicating JOB CODE: CLMT in the subject heading. OpGen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.