OpGen is a precision medicine company using molecular diagnostics and informatics to help combat infectious disease. We are developing molecular information products and services for global healthcare settings, helping to guide clinicians with more rapid and actionable information about life threatening infections, improve patient outcomes, and decrease the spread of infections caused by multidrug-resistant microorganisms, or MDROs. Our proprietary DNA tests and informatics address the rising threat of antibiotic resistance by helping physicians and other healthcare providers optimize care decisions for patients with acute infections.
About NYSDOH AMR Surveillance Project
OpGen is collaborating with the New York State Department of Health (“DOH”) and ILÚM Health Solutions, LLC (“ILÚM”), a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck’s Healthcare Services and Solutions, to develop a state-of-the-art research program to detect, track, and manage antimicrobial-resistant infections at healthcare institutions statewide.
The goal of this project is to improve patient outcomes and save healthcare dollars by integrating real-time epidemiologic surveillance with rapid delivery of resistance results to care-givers via web-based and mobile platforms. OpGen is providing its Acuitas®AMR Gene Panel for rapid detection of multidrug-resistant bacterial pathogens along with its Acuitas Lighthouse® Software for high resolution pathogen tracking.
OpGen will work together with DOH’s Wadsworth Center and ILÚM to develop an infectious disease digital health and precision medicine platform that connects healthcare institutions to DOH and uses genomic microbiology for statewide surveillance and control of antimicrobial resistance.
The Software Engineer II will participate in the development of new software applications, databases, pipelines, and related systems, in support of our primary business operations. They will be responsible for the design, development, documentation, and maintenance of high-quality, professional software for new and existing products. As a member of the software engineering team, they will also be responsible for supporting existing information systems, assisting the team in code reviews and testing, and following OpGen standards, procedures, and best practices. In addition, they will study information needs, gather requirements, study data usage and work processes, and investigate problems in order to guide their software development directions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Determines operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions
- Documents and demonstrates solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code
- Prepares and installs solutions by determining and designing system specifications, standards, and programming
- Improves operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures
- Updates job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools, programming techniques, and computing equipment; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Provides information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues
- Develops software solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; and following the software development lifecycle
Qualifications: Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Mathematics, or a comparable technical degree; Master’s degree a plus
- Five years of working experience in software development within a biological domain; experience with microbial genomics, NGS, or device development is preferred
- Experience with regulated software (e.g. FDA) a plus
- Strong programming skills in languages such as Java, C/C++, Perl, Python, and PHP; demonstrated expertise in proper software lifecycle development
- Database design and development experience, especially with PostgreSQL and/or MySQL
- Experience in the development of LIMS and connecting applications and databases
Qualifications: Licenses and Other Credentials:
- Web application development experience highly preferred
- Experience with high performance distributed computing and cloud computing
- Familiarity with Hibernate, Eclipse (or similar) IDE, and Subversion or Git
- Working knowledge of statistics
- GUI design and development
- Knowledge of lab robotics usage and systems integration
- Hands-on experience with bioinformatics tools and public databases