The Bioinformatics Scientist is responsible for developing novel algorithms, models, and approaches for the analysis of large genotypic and phenotypic datasets. This job will interface with other bioinformatics and software engineers, and contribute to the implementation of novel tools, pipelines, and databases to apply these algorithms and models.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform in-depth analysis of large datasets for internal and externally-facing projects.
- Building programs by using computational formulas to determine outcomes based on biological projects or research.
- Develop new applications, systems and analysis tools for use in a high-throughput computing environment, creating query routines and building relational databases.
- Create novel algorithms for data analysis and optimize computationally-intensive workflows.
- Apply knowledge of algorithms to solve problems based on information and data using different calculations.
- Work closely with software engineers and analysts, as well as scientific staff throughout the organization.
Qualifications: Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. in biostatistics, bioinformatics, computational biology, or a comparable scientific degree
- 8 years of working experience in data analysis or data modeling in a biological discipline; experience with microbial genomics is preferred
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to effectively articulate complex, technical information
- Must have excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to perform multiple tasks independently
Qualifications: Licenses and Other Credentials:
- Experience with high performance distributed computing and cloud computing
- Programming skills in languages such as Perl, Python, or PHP
- Hands-on experience with bioinformatics tools and public databases